Subject: Publication on ownership of New Deal art

Publication on ownership of New Deal art

From: Catherine S. Myers <catherine.myers>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2006
The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) is pleased to
announce the release of a new edition of "Legal Title to Art Work
Produced Under the 1930s and 1940s New Deal Administration".  The
document is available on-line at <URL:http://www.gsa.gov/finearts>.

In 1934, the U.S. Federal Works Agency started loaning portable
works of art produced under the New Deal Administration of President
Franklin D. Roosevelt to museums, schools, historical societies,
hospitals, and other non-profit agencies.  Official paperwork
accompanied the artwork.  In 1949, the Federal Property and
Administrative Services Act transferred all functions of the U.S.
Federal Works Agency, including the administration of New Deal
artwork, to GSA.

Over the last 75 years, some New Deal works of art have changed
hands, and some have found their way into private possession.  As
part of performing our stewardship responsibilities, we work with
GSA's Office of the Inspector General and the U.S. Department of
Justice to recover numerous New Deal works of art that remain
federal property.  The online document includes background
information about the Depression-era art programs, general concepts
of federal property ownership, details about the various conditions
that determine legal title, and the impact this has on the parties
that possess portable New Deal works of art

We hope that the dissemination of this document will inform private
citizens and the art community about the ownership of New Deal
artwork. If you have any question regarding the ownership of a New
Deal works of art, please contact the Fine Arts Program at
202-501-1888, and we will be happy to assist you and/or your
client(s).

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 16, 2006