Subject: Replicas of clay objects

Replicas of clay objects

From: Andrei Vainer <consob>
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Asteris Apostolidis <asteris [at] rsfturkey__org> writes

>We are planning to make replicas of clay objects (busts,
>approximately 1 meter high each) using silicone rubber--we have not
>decided on the type yet. Could anyone give us information on the
>surface preparation (fixation, separation layer) before the
>application of the silicone on the artefact?

First of all, if you are planning to use silicone rubber, you must
be sure that your object is strong and stable, without any paint or
other coloring on the surface.

We use transparent PVA (alcohol-based) to protect objects before
application of silicone.  It is easily removable, either as a "skin"
that peels right off, or with water.  After application of the PVA,
and before the silicone, we use Tuf-Lube Hi-Temp NOD mold release
agent for plastic, manufactured by Specialty Products Company in the
U.S.  This layer is absorbed by the silicone and doesn't leave any
remnants on the objects.

Andrei Vainer
Objects Conservation
Israel Museum