Subject: Pigma micron pens

Pigma micron pens

From: Laurie Booth <mwestcons>
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Dee A. Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee [at] nbm-mnb__ca> writes

>What is the current opinion among conservators on the list about the
>possibility of using the "Pigma Micron" pens (manufactured by
>Sakura) in place of India ink for artifact numbering?

I understand that Pigma Micron pens use a pigment-based ink and are
therefore lightfast. (Most India inks are also pigment-based, I
believe.) Lightfastness is a critical component of any numbering ink
or paint. If pigment-based inks are used on top of a reversible
archival resin, they should do fine. The problem with using many
other types of pens and inks is that while they may be described as
"permanent" they are not, in fact, lightfast and will fade to
obscurity in short order.  Note that most computer printers do not,
in fact, use pigment-based inks.  One should also mention that the
use of lacquers should be restricted to those materials that will
not be negatively impacted by the solvents used with the resin. This
is a complicated issue, particularly since many registrars and
collections managers may not know what materials were used in the
construction of the item in question.

Laurie Booth
President/Objects Conservator
Midwest Conservation Services, Inc.