Subject: Digitization and collections documentation

Digitization and collections documentation

From: Susan Sayre Batton <sbatton>
Date: Saturday, February 25, 2006
Thomas C. Klinke <klinke [at] museenkoeln__de> writes

>Has anyone had experience digitizing and documenting (e.g.
>registration/cataloging) an extensive collection of drawings and
>prints? Are you planning--or do you know of--a comparable project?

The Honolulu Academy of Arts is in the third year of a large
digitization project of the James A. Michener Collection of Japanese
Woodblock print (ukiyo-e).  The collection contains over 9,500
prints, as well as printed books.  Prior to digitization, I managed
the initial phase of the project to conserve and upgrade storage /
housing for the entire collection along with a technician.  We
established exhibition and loan standards, and developed a data
entry system.  The cataloguing and digital photography project began
after this important work stabilizing the collection was concluded,
and added three dedicated staff members to the Text/Image Database
project, a database manager, assistant manager, and a photographer.
The goal is to have public access to the collection in 2007/2008 for
research purposes.

Susan Sayre Batton
Deputy Director
Honolulu Academy of Arts