Subject: Glass paper

Glass paper

From: Lindsey Bogle <pstudio>
Date: Sunday, February 19, 2006
A colleague in the Netherlands has told me he can no longer get hold
of glass paper from the United Kingdom (glass paper is not produced
in the Netherlands). Glass paper is commonly used by ceramic
conservators for abrading plaster of Paris, polyester and epoxy
fills: a glass abrasive is the only sort that can safely be used on
glazed ceramics, since glass doesn't scratch glass, whereas all the
abrasives available in this country (e.g. flint, silicon carbide)
cause irreversible scratching to glazed objects.

Apparently the most well-known manufacturer of English abrasives,
Oakey, has recently changed to a different sort of abrasive
material. While this makes no difference to the cabinet makers they
essentially produce for, to our small group of professionals such a
change poses an enormous threat. According to my information the
other producer, English Abrasives and Chemicals Limited, has been
taken over and no longer produces glass paper either.

Are British ceramics conservators who still have supplies of glass
paper aware of this impending problem? If so, do they know of any
known alternative to Oakey's? The aforementioned colleague, who
largely depends on polyester for fills, is particularly concerned
about supplies of Grade F2, Grit 100, which although relatively
coarse is still safe to use on glazed objects. He apparently uses
large quantities of grit 100 and is fast running out of supplies.

There may be shops all around the U.K. with old stocks, but having
no connections in the United Kingdom himself he knows of no way to
lay his hands on them. Bradshaw and Whelan, suppliers of Oakey's in
the United States, who inform me they are also  trying to find out
just what the situation is, are now also running low on stock.
Can anyone can help with this problem?

Lindsey Bogle, M.A., R.R.
De Porselein Studio
Maasdijk 423
4264 AS VEEN
Netherlands
+31 416 696807
Fax: +31 416 696856

                Distributed: Thursday, February 23, 2006