Subject: Ventilation systems

Ventilation systems

From: Jane Williams <jwilliams>
Date: Friday, February 17, 2006
We are looking to purchase a mobile unit for solvent-based
treatments in our off-site storage facilities.  The model that looks
the best to us so far is the Labconco Protector unit.  It has a
basic mobile unit which has the fan, filters and flexible ducting
(FilterMate Mobile Station).  This unit can be used on its own, or
can be connected, for better containment, to a large enclosure (VS
Ventilation System).  Has anyone had experience with this unit?  If
so, could you comment on its effectiveness, what kinds of chemicals
you used it for, and whether you used it for long-term treatments
(i.e. multiple applications of slow evaporating solvents)?  We would
also be interested in hearing about whether anyone has a different
unit they like that offers the same combination of mobility and
optional enclosure.

Jane Williams
Associate Conservator
Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology