Subject: Changes in Nilfisk vacuums

Changes in Nilfisk vacuums

From: Ashley McGrew <amcgrew>
Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2006
    **** Moderator's comments: Thanks to Kristy Jeffcoat for posting
    sending item, which was originally posted on the registrar's
    list, RCAAM [at] si-listserv__si__edu, reproduced here with permission
    from the author.

The following comes from

    Angela McGrew
    Associate Objects Conservator
    Autrey National Center
    Los Angeles CA

    Nilfisk is no longer doing the variable speed control units that
    turn all the way down because their new and improved vacuum
    motors burn them out. They feel that their clientele want more,
    not less power.  I have called and written to complain and the
    solution they offered is to a) try opening all the bleed valves
    or to b)  drill holes in the vacuum. The suction is still too
    high with the bleed valves all the way open and I am not going
    to take a drill to a $1000 vacuum.  They also offered to custom
    build an old variable speed control unit with some parts they
    have left over, and that maybe they have 4 or 5 old units laying
    around. I have been waiting since August for a reply from them
    about a better solution.

    The reps you have to talk to are Cory or Brenda (I don't have
    the last names handy, Brenda's extension is ext: 124 and I think
    Cory's last name is Lukenbach).  They are proud of having a
    "museum kit" available, but they don't understand that the
    variable speed control is a huge issue.

    Our museum is currently involved in a collections move where
    someone spends all day just surface cleaning artifacts with the
    vacuum, and I'm not sure what we'll do when the rheostats or old
    motors die on our two vacuums.  The very least we need from them
    would be for their service department to be willing or able to
    service the old rheostats and/or to provide documentation on how
    it's done so it can be sent out to be done by a local
    electrician.  I suggested this, too, in a letter.  When I called
    last year they acted as if I was the first person to complain.
    They won't be making any changes unless they know what museums
    really want.

    Please write or call:

        Nilfisk Advance America, Inc.
        300 Technology Drive
        Malvern PA 19355-1315
        1-800-NILFISK

    Even if there is something better out there we don't want our
    current Nilfisk vacuums to become obsolete.

    Angela Yvarra McGrew
    Associate Conservator
    Autry National Center
    4700 Western Heritage Way