Subject: Course on papyrus

Course on papyrus

From: Machteld van der Feltz <almach>
Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Course on the Conservation of Papyrus
Teacher:

    Mag. Andrea Donau
    Conservator of the papyrus collection, National Library of
    Austria

Centro del bel libro
Ascona
Switzerland
10-13 April 2006 (4 days)
Language: German, English
Fee:
    490 Euro
    for IADA members 450 Euro.

In April there is a course on the conservation of papyrus in the
Centro del bel libro in Ascona, Switzerland. I am very interested in
this course, but so far I am the only participant. They need at
least 4 participants.

In this course the very unique and sensitive material papyrus will
be introduced. Theoretical aspects are: the manufacture of papyrus,
the quality of the raw material, the use and condition of papyri
(age and archeological site), the history of the "Vienna
Collection", inks, pigments and dyes as well as preservation and
housing. The participants will get a chance to treat small papyrus
fragments and thus experience the handling and treatment of this
special material.

More information can be found at <URL:http://www.cbl-ascona.ch>

Machteld van der Feltz
Paper Conservator,