Subject: Funding

Funding

From: Susan Mathisen <s.mathisen>
Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2006
Robert J. Milevski <milevski [at] princeton__edu> writes

>Are there any foundations or other organizations to which I may
>apply that might underwrite, partially or completely, the cost of a
>book conservator from Eastern Europe traveling to the US for
>training for a month?

You might send a letter of inquiry to the Trust for Mutual
Understanding (<URL:http://www.tmuny.org>) as they support exchange
between the US and Russia, Eastern, and Central Europe.
Unfortunately, their last deadline was 1 February; the next is
1August.

I would also suggest a search on the Foundation Center's Directory
<URL:http://www.fdncenter.org/>, although a preliminary search
resulted in foundations that support mainly Jewish causes in Eastern
Europe.  The Whitehead Foundation might be supportive, but you would
need to discuss the project with a program officer, as they do not
accept unsolicited proposals.  The Open Society Institute, which is
funded by George Soros <URL:http://www.soros.org/>, is also a
possibility. When you are doing your research, take a look at a
foundation's form 990, which is also available on the Foundation
Center's site.  These give a better indication of what a foundation
funds than the little blurbs supplied by the Center.

Since it is a conservation project, I assume you've researched the
many foundations that support our work. While this is too small a
grant for some of the larger foundations to consider, there are
several that would possibly fund a project such as this.  I've had
success with the Keepers Preservation Education Fund, the Bay and
Paul Foundations (they give a limited number of small grants for
conservation, so it might be worth a letter of inquiry), and the
Stockman Family Foundation.

The Institute for International Education is an organization that
administers exchange programs, including Fulbrights.  They have
professional development programs that your colleague could apply to
for support.

Susan Anne Mathisen
American Academy in Rome
7 East 60th Street
New York, New York 10022
212-751-7200 ext. 36
Fax: 212-751-7220

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 8, 2006