Subject: Conservation publications available online

Conservation publications available online

From: Robert B. Faltermeier <robert>
Date: Wednesday, February 1, 2006
Free availability of conservation/restoration information is
crucial. I was therefore wondering, who knows  which conservation
publications such as journals are readily available via the
Directory of Open Access Journals <URL:http://www.doaj.org/home>
Over the past few months I have browsed through numerous online
conservation publications for various questions that cropped up
during treatments and could not get an answer, e.g. antimicrobial
for stone and effects of sodium tetraborate. Wouldn't it be great to
be in any part of the world, using the internet and having access to
the relevant recently published conservation research for free?

    **** Moderator's comments: Open Access provides the following
    definition of its scope

       "The Directory aims to be comprehensive and cover all open
        access scientific and scholarly journals that use a quality
        control system to guarantee the content.

       "We define open access journals as journals that use a
        funding model that does not charge readers or their
        institutions for access. From the BOAI definition [1] of
        "open access" we take the right of users to "read, download,
        copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts
        of these articles" as mandatory for a journal to be included
        in the directory."

Dr. Robert B. Faltermeier
Faltermeier Conservation - Restoration
8B Keong Saik Road