Subject: Scagliola

Scagliola

From: Julia Barton <bartonjulia>
Date: Thursday, January 26, 2006
I am currently a Post-Graduate student on the
Conservation-Restoration of Ceramics and Related Materials at West
Dean College, England.  My research project is concerned with a
nineteenth century scagliola table top, investigating the
conservation issues involved in treating the object, focusing on the
consolidation of the friable plaster-based material.

So far I have accessed conservation literature that appears to focus
on scagliola in an architectural setting.  My project object is on a
smaller scale and will possibly require a different approach.  I am
enquiring as to whether anyone has worked on small scale scagliola
objects, and the issues that were involved in the treatments, such
as lesions between the scagliola and the plaster base?  Also if the
object had to be consolidated, and what was used to consolidate the
object?

Any information on scagliola would be gratefully received.

Julia Barton
West Dean College
Chichester
West Sussex PO18 0QZ