Subject: Guillotine

Guillotine

From: David Giles <dgiles>
Date: Friday, February 3, 2006
Emily O'Reilly <emily.o'reilly [at] museumwales__ac__uk> writes

>We have at National Museum Wales a Harrild guillotine/board chopper
>... What have other Harrild guillotine owners done in
>regards to blade sharpening? Or can anyone make a suggestion?

In the conservation mounting studio at The British Museum we now use
a company called Contrast Graphic Suppliers Ltd who are based in
Chelmsford in Essex but they travel all over the country sharpening
guillotine blades. We have two blades which are sharpened on
rotation, the idea being that the guillotine technician visits to
swap the old blunt blade with the new sharpened one. You can contact
the company by telephoning +44 1245 355174.

David Giles
Conservation Mounter
Department of Conservation, Documentation and Science
British Museum
Great Russell St.
London WC1B 3DG
UK