Subject: Tobacco leaves

Tobacco leaves

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Thursday, January 12, 2006
Howard Wellman <wellmanconservation [at] comcast__net> writes

>A client has acquired a "hand" of tobacco leaves (the dried bunch of
>leaves, still attached to the stalk), and wants to display them
>hanging as if still in the drying barn. ...
>
>Does anyone have suggestions for consolidating or otherwise
>stabilizing what is basically an intact dried botanical specimen
>that is going to be displayed with no other modifications?

I've preserved the root system of a grass plant by consolidating
with methylcellulose, with satisfactory results.  I would suggest
testing spray consolidation with either methylcellulose or Klucel-G
or GF in ethanol, probably around 3%-5%. Consolidation by immersion
might not work in this case due to the fragility of the leaves. The
difficulty in this case would be achieving access to all or most of
the surfaces of the hand, especially near where it is tied together.
Normally tobacco leaves are resinous and sticky, but since they are
as dry as you describe, consolidation should work. Let me know if
you have any questions.

Paul S. Storch
Senior Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (DOCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
651-297-5774