Subject: Digital imaging system for sale

Digital imaging system for sale

From: Robert Coldwell <robert>
Date: Thursday, January 5, 2006
I have designed a digital imaging system for a project to digitize
special collections of music at libraries in the US and Europe.
Unfortunately this project could not be realized, but the equipment
had already been acquired.  The system sits unused in boxes as I
have yet to find someone who could fully utilize the equipment. I am
hoping someone on this list may be interested.

Please take a look at images of the equipment and more detailed
information on each item.
<URL:http://camera.digitalguitararchive.com>

As the project was to digitize on-site the system was designed to be
portable, but would work perfectly in a single location. It is based
on a PhaseOne 16 megapixel digital back on a Hasselblad 553ELX with
a 120Makro lens. The lighting system is a ProFoto 600 Compact Pack,
so you get 1200 watts (2 x 600 watt heads) of non-UV strobe
lighting. The system can take 4080 x 4080 pixel (13.6 x 13.6 inches,
300dpi) images at a rate of 2-5 secs. per image at 48-bit RGB. The
system is complete so there are light stands, a tripod with geared
head, softboxes for the strobes, light meter, etc. A link to a
detailed list of the items with photographs will be provided below.

All equipment (except Hasselblad) was brand new in June 2005. Two
test shoots were undertaken in the in-house studio on fine art works
and printed material. The total time the equipment has been used is
approximately 4-6 hours. The digital back has had less than 1000
exposures. All equipment has been packed back in the original boxes
and unused since July. Everything is indistinguishable from brand
new.

Most of the equipment is on a lease. An Apple Powerbook G4 and the
Hasselblad body/lens are not on the lease. As such, the equipment
cannot be sold off the lease so I am looking for someone interested
in assuming the lease from me. The Powerbook and Hasselblad could
possibly be added to the lease or sold directly to the lease assumer
if desired.

The lease is a 36 month, fair market value buyout lease. Since it
was started in June there are about 30 months left. If someone were
to assume the lease they would only be responsible for the remaining
30 months and not for what I have already paid. So this is
equivalent to either a 30 month lease or a 36 month lease which has
already had 17% paid on it. The leasing company is willing to change
the buyout from fair market value to $1 buyout, however they are not
willing to change the lease length.

My current payments are $650/month with an additional $75 for sales
and property taxes. As a fair market value lease the payments are
fully deductible as business expenses. I do not have numbers for
what the cost of a $1 buyout option would be as the lease company
has to determine that. The initial cost of the equipment on lease
was close to $17,000 with the Powerbook and Hasselblad adding about
$5000.

On lease assumption some changes can be made to the lease. No items
can be removed, but items can be added. For example, PhaseOne now
has up to 39 megapixel digital backs. They have a very good upgrade
plan, so it is possible to upgrade to a higher level back on this
lease.

This system is excellent for archival digital imaging and as a
component system can integrate well with other pre-existing systems.
This is a wonderful set of equipment and I don't like to see it just
sit in boxes when it could be in active use. I am very interested in
finding a new home for this equipment as soon as possible, so I am
very flexible in working with interested parties.

Robert Coldwell

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 10, 2006