Subject: Helmet

Helmet

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Friday, December 16, 2005
Mark McMorrow <mark [at] swordforum__com>

>... Some vintage WW2 military helmets were donated to a local
>museum, but unfortunately these had been painted over sometime
>during the 1960s or 1970s.  I was asked if I could find a method of
>removing the non-original paint in such a manner that would not
>disturb the original paint finish. ...

It is impossible to predict what solvents will dissolve one layer of
paint and not another without knowing the types of paint and, more
importantly, doing solvent tests.  The job really needs a trained
conservator--probably either a paintings or objects conservator.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West
New York, NY  10025