Subject: MDF

MDF

From: Jane Pudsey <jane.pudsey<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 7, 2005
We are planning an extensive redevelopment of our galleries and
buildings. The architects are not keen on zero formaldehyde MDF as a
wall liner in the galleries as it requires the use of fire-retardant
paint to meet UK building regulations, but they think reduced
formaldehyde MDF is ok with "normal" paint. Which is the lesser of
the two evils in terms of off-gassing, reduced formaldehyde MDF or
fire-retardant paint? Would water-based emulsion be better still, or
are we being too picky? There will be some objects on open display.

Jane Pudsey
Senior Conservator
The Herbert
Coventry
+44 24 7678 5171

                Distributed: Thursday, December 15, 2005