Subject: Dacron

Dacron

From: James Reid-Cunningham <reid-cunningham<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 7, 2005
Lisa Fox <lisa.fox [at] sos__mo__gov> writes

>We are looking for a source for Dacron material, at least 60 inches
>wide, to be used for Dacron linings of oversized documents. ...

At the Boston Athenaeum, we have been doing Dacron linings using
cloth from

    Textfabrics
    570-603-0432
    <URL:http://www.testfabrics.com/>
    Style #7409-6, 65% polyester, 35% cotton blend.

My understanding is that the term "Dacron" is used generally for
almost any cotton/polyester blend.

I originally learned to do linings with much thicker Dacron at
Harvard, but I've found that the thinner cloth works just as well.
Testfabrics also sells a heavier cloth, Style #7436, that they refer
to as "raincoat weight," which better resembles the fabric I
previously used, but the thinner cloth seems to come off easier.

I should note that when I do Dacron linings, I put a layer of medium
weight Hollytex between the dacron and the lining paper to make
removal easier.

James Reid-Cunningham
Chief Conservator
Boston Athenaeum
10 1/2 Beacon Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02108-3777 USA

                Distributed: Thursday, December 15, 2005