Subject: Repairing wax

Repairing wax

From: Terry Marsh <tmarac<-a>
Date: Friday, December 9, 2005
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] netscape__net> writes

>I have a 19th century wax bust made in Russia which is cracked into
>two pieces.  I have yet to find a good adhesive for making
>structural repairs to wax and was wondering if anyone has found one.
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I attached hinges to a wax object by first making t shaped hinges
with Beva film heat set to a carrier (I think it was tyvek?). The
hinge was then attached to the wax sheet (this was a work of art to
be displayed) by wetting the BEVA "hinge" with toluene. Then light
pressure was applied until the solvent had evaporated. Perhaps a way
could be found to use BEVA as a "glue" for the sculpture?

Terry Marsh
Terry Marsh Art Conservation
Greenwich, CT

                Distributed: Thursday, December 15, 2005