Subject: Dacron

Dacron

From: Lisa Fox <lisa.fox<-a>
Date: Friday, December 2, 2005
We are looking for a source for Dacron material, at least 60 inches
wide, to be used for Dacron linings of oversized documents.  The
large piece we had used for the last decade or so had to be
destroyed recently while removing it from a particularly fragile and
fragmented document.  It was a relatively heavy-weight material, and
usually peeled off very cleanly and easily from the back of the
treated document after it was dry.

I assumed we could replace it easily from a local fabric store, but
no one carries anything like it anymore.  In fact, I'm told that
"Dacron" per se is no longer manufactured. One colleague said they
purchased something called "ultressa" or "silkessa," but I have not
been able to get a reply from MagnaFabrics, the vendor.

I wonder what type/brand of fabric other folks are using now for
"Dacron linings."  If you would let us know what brand you use and
what vendor provides it (preferably with some sort of contact info),
I would be most grateful.

    **** Moderator's comments: Some of you may be unfamiliar with
    this particular paper conservation technique. For a brief
    description see
    <URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v01/bp01-01.html>

Lisa L. Fox, Senior Conservator
Missouri State Archives