Subject: Biocides for use in PEG treatments

Biocides for use in PEG treatments

From: David Graves <david.graves<-a>
Date: Friday, December 2, 2005
Here at Heritage Victoria we are treating numerous waterlogged wood,
leather and wood/metal composite objects.  We are trying to find an
alternative biocide to use in our Polyethylene Glycol(PEG)
treatments of wet organics.  We have previously used Densil P but
cannot get it in the relatively small quantities we require.

Does anyone have any recommendations for acceptable alternatives
with a low toxicity, wide availability and low chloride levels that
will be compatible to use with PEG?

We have recently heard of a product called Kathon CG but we are
concerned by its relatively high chloride content.  Does anyone have
any data available on this product and its effects on wet organics
and metals?

David Graves
Conservator
Heritage Victoria