Subject: Publication on environmental monitoring

Publication on environmental monitoring

From: Edward Zinn <edzpph<-a>
Date: Tuesday, December 6, 2005
The announcement of the Heritage Health Index on Dec 6, 2005
underlined the importance of improving collection storage
conditions. As a first step towards acting upon the call for
improving collection storage I would like to invite everyone to
download a free PDF document from our web site that is an in-depth
discussion of setting-up an environmental monitoring program at your
institution.

The document called "Step by Step Workbook; Achieving a Preservation
Environment for Collections" talks about

    *   the importance of environmental monitoring

    *   the effect of the environment on the natural aging of
        collections

    *   understanding your building and its climate control system

    *   taking action to improve the preservation quality of your
        environment

This workbook was developed in conjunction with a recent NEH
sponsored grant project that presented workshops on setting up
monitoring programs in institutions. We felt that it would be useful
to anyone that has an ongoing monitoring program or is planning one.
Please feel free to save a copy of this document on your local
machine, print it out, and share it with anyone you wish. The
workbook is available at
<URL:http://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/sub_pages/8contents.htm>

Edward Zinn
Image Permanence Institute