Subject: Infrared digital cameras

Infrared digital cameras

From: Marcella Leith <marcella.leith<-a>
Date: Thursday, December 1, 2005
Ian McClure <ipm1000 [at] cam__ac__uk> writes

>We are considering the purchase of an infrared enabled digital SLR
>camera, to photograph paintings when infrared reflectography mosaics
>cannot be justified.

I am from the photography Department at Tate. We have had the IR
blocking filter removed from a Nikon D1 camera, Nikon undertook this
for us, I seem to remember it costing around UKP200. It has proved
to be very successful, the file size on the D1 is only 7mb so it is
limited by that, however it is particularly good for details. We
use an ES 52 filter on a fast shutter speed to reduce noise and 2
banks of redhead lamps, 2 red heads on each bank. When the image is
created I desaturate it in photoshop, sometimes using the highlight
and shadow filter gives interesting results.
Hope this is helpful,

Marcella

                 Distributed: Tuesday, December 6, 2005