Subject: Encapsulation

Encapsulation

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-a>
Date: Thursday, November 24, 2005
This topic has been discussed a couple of times in the past but
there has never been any definitive answer, so I'm raising it again.
What ill effects (if any) might ultrasonically encapsulated paper
documents (ink and  graphite on paper) suffer if exhibited in an
uncontrolled environment where the temperature and humidity are
fluctuating quite broadly.  An institution to which we were planning
to lend documents is having serious problems with their
environmental control system.  I have recommended that we not lend
to them but have been asked if encapsulating all the documents and
substituting facsimiles for the photographs would make the loan
acceptable.  Other conditions (lights levels, security) seem to be
ok.

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation Department
Canadian Centre for Architecture

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 29, 2005