Subject: Horn

Horn

From: Stefanie Scheerer <stefscheerer<-a>
Date: Sunday, November 20, 2005
Jason Clancy <g00067963 [at] gmit__ie> writes

>I have to process the horn the traditional way; this is were i get
>stuck. I am having trouble flattening the horn. I am trying the many
>different ways that some of the old books say but they don't seem to
>work. I wonder is it because I am using Irish cows horn?

I tried the same on German horn and I had exactly the same problems
as you described. The horn became quite flexible when heated in a
water bath or even in oil (which can be heated to higher
temperatures), however, it remained in a slight convex shape, even
when cooled with weights. Thin sheets were more successfully
flattened than think ones.

I am sorry not to be of more help, I just wanted you to know that I
am assuming that it is not an "ethnic" problem, but rather a problem
finding the right method.

Stefanie Scheerer
Microbiology Dept.
Cardiff University