Subject: Storing photographs

Storing photographs

From: Simon Barcham Green <simongreen<-a>
Date: Friday, November 18, 2005
Work will start on the restoration of Hayle Mill fairly shortly
which I will be photographing digitally. Since current media such as
CDs and DVDs and current formats such as JPG may well be unreadable
in a decade or two I will be storing prints as well as CDs. My local
photographic print shop claims that as he uses a photographic
printer rather than an inkjet printer, the prints will last for
decades. A few questions:

Subject to proper storage is this claim likely to be true? If not is
there a UK company to whom I could send CDs and get reasonably
permanent images back from? Museum quality storage systems seem very
expensive for what are essentially amateur photos but I would like
these pictures to last as well as those we have dating from 1872.
(This may be impossible for any colour images). Can anybody
recommend a sensible cost effective solution and suppliers for this
sort of collection? Any other comments would be welcome.

Simon Barcham Green

                Distributed: Saturday, November 19, 2005