Subject: Survey on biocides for stone

Survey on biocides for stone

From: Stefanie Scheerer <stefscheerer<-a>
Date: Friday, November 11, 2005
I am currently performing research on biocides used against
microbiological growth (fungi, bacteria, lichens, algae, etc.) on
outdoor stone monuments. I would like to get a better idea of what
kind of chemicals and non-chemical treatments have been used in the
past and which ones tend to be the currently preferred methods and
chemicals/brands.

Since I and aiming to get a representative overview, all responses
of people (conservators/microbiologists and other conservation
practitioners) who have used biocides in the past, will be
appreciated and very useful. So please do respond even if you are
unsure if you used the "right" biocide. (the answer is, that there
is no "right" biocide and with your help my research could bring
some light into this topic)

Here is a very short questionnaire, which can be sent directly
stefscheerer<-a t->yahoo< . >de. All information will be treated
confidentially. If you have information/experience that is of common
interest, please post it on the Conservation DistList. Feel free to
leave out sections that you don't feel you can contribute to; it is
more important for me to get as many replies as possible about what
has been used than exact details on the application.

    1.  Biocide(s)  used, please indicate the name and if known the
        active ingredient:

    2.  What concentration was the biocide used, what was the
        solvent:

    3.  Why did you decide to use this biocide:

    4.  How did you assess antimicrobial efficiency:

    5.  How efficient was the biocide against microorganisms
        (which?):

    6.  Did you observe and negative effect on the artefact's
        material:

I would like to thank everybody who contributes my research,

Stefanie Scheerer
Microbiology Dept.
Cardiff University
PO Box 915
Cardiff, CF10 3TL
Wales, UK

                Distributed: Saturday, November 19, 2005