Subject: Silver Plater

Silver Plater

From: Rachel White <rachel.white<-a>
Date: Saturday, November 5, 2005
I don't have experience in the cleaning of silver but once you have
cleaned it a vapour phase corrosion inhibitor might be useful in
slowing down the rate of tarnish. I believe these items are often
sold in sponge form for fuse boxes and in thin layers of foam for
gun holders. In enclosed area they release a corrosion inhibitor as
a vapour. Perhaps another option is electrochemical silver replating
of the items, it is possible that this will be a more permanent
solution than a rub on product. Electroplaters will be able to
discuss with you how this is done so you can decide if it is
suitable.

I've found a few websites that have information on the vapour phase
inhibitor products:

    <URL:http://www.vapor-tek.co.uk/html/vaporol.htm>
    (an oil based inhibitor)

    <URL:http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Inhibitors/volatile.htm>
    (what they are)

    <URL:http://www.applegate.co.uk/products/psb/5424.htm>
    (UK listing)

    <URL:http://www.vci2000.com/Company_profile/Foams/
        Foam_Dots/foam_dots.html>
    (foam dots)

    <URL:http://www.rustbloc.com/VpCIemitterfaq.shtml>
    (for silver)

    <URL:http://www.squared.com/us/products/piosource.nsf/
        unid/AA2CBE7E1C0DA51B85256E60005923D3/$file/corrosion.htm>
    (silver corrosion)

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Rachel White
PhD student
University of Technology Sydney
Australia

                Distributed: Thursday, November 10, 2005