Subject: Dataloggers

Dataloggers

From: Gregory Basso <greg.basso<-a>
Date: Friday, November 4, 2005
I would like to respond to the posting by Rachael Arenstein
concerning Climate Notebook and Hanwell Loggers:

While beta versions of the Hanwell Climate Notebook export could
contain characters that would hang the import to Notebook, this
issue was addressed over 3 years ago. Current versions of the
Hanwell software export will filter the N/A characters that Notebook
does not want to see.

Regarding comments about the Eltek Squirrel system I have several
questions:

Is this system available in the United States? The Eltek data sheet
specifies sensors only operating on European frequencies. Hanwell
operates on both European and US approved frequencies and is
available for sale in the United States.

Another concern would sensor range. Having over 12 years of
experience with wireless telemetry, I would question the range of a
small battery powered sensor with a stated battery life of 5-10
years. This is about the battery life of some similarly sized stand
alone dataloggers--minus a power hungry transmitter.  While range of
a system can always be extended by the use of repeaters,  systems
with a reduced range require additional repeaters adding to system
complexity, cost and bandwidth constraints.

Gregory Basso
VP Applications
Cascade Group, Inc., Hanwell Instruments, USA

                Distributed: Thursday, November 10, 2005