Subject: Neatsfoot oil

Neatsfoot oil

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Beth Richwine <richwineb [at] nmah__si__edu> writes

>We have just acquired a collection of artifacts that contain a
>variety of materials.  Some of the painted leather objects are
>sticky.  I found out that they were coated with neatsfoot oil at
>least 15 years ago and suspect that this is the problem.  There are
>also some metal objects with an unusual shiny, slightly yellowed
>coating, but what has been unpacked so far does not appear to be
>sticky.  Has any one had similar problems and had any luck removing
>this oil?

I have used neatsfoot oil for some time as a dressing and part
rehydrating agent on taxidermy mounts with success--birds' legs and
feet, mammal noses that have dried out, and the results have always
been good.  If you have any information about possible long-term
oxidation of this compound, I would be most interested to hear. I
presume that it has not discoloured the underlying paintwork?

I suspect that the person that treated your leather items applied it
too generously.  I would try using iso-propyl alcohol, provided that
it won't compromise the paint work or using a suitable surfactant in
deionised water and applied with cotton buds, should remove the
surface stickiness.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, AMUKIC,ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences
Hampshire County Council