Subject: Freezing wet textiles

Freezing wet textiles

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Karin von Lerber <karin.vonlerber [at] prevart__ch> writes

>I am well aware of  the publications dealing with freezing as a pest
>control method and its effects on (dry) textiles. What I am looking
>for, however, is information on the effect of freezing (not only
>freeze-drying) on textile fibres when textiles are completely
>soaked. I am also aware that freezing is done rather frequently when
>block salvaging textiles and is recommended on many internet based
>recovery-information sites. But I am not aware of any scientific
>research demonstrating what is actually going on during the freezing
>process. ...

Have you ever considered vacuum drying saturated textiles?  I know
that this has been successfully carried out on water-saturated books
using a vacuum packing machine adapted for the purpose.  I don't
have any specific names of those involved but the project was
undertaken by the Municipal Library in Prague following the 2002
flood.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, AMUKIC,ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences
Hampshire County Council