Subject: Laser cleaning

Laser cleaning

From: Rick Warren <conservation<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 26, 2005
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

We are currently in the process of looking into purchasing laser
cleaning equipment for the removal of sulphate layer's on the
sculpture work on and around the Cathedral.

Can anyone point us in the right direction for laser suppliers that
have experience in the conservation world. We have been in contact
with a UK company but as of yet they have not impressed us.

We currently use the Jos and Studio Torq system's and air abraders
for the sculpture and we would like to minimise the use of Aluminium
Oxide powder as much as possible. The Doff system is an option but
I'm not sure that this would remove thick layers of sulphate which
is present on the Cathedral. Any information would be gratefully