Subject: Mold on photographs

Mold on photographs

From: Lavinia Adler <laviniaa<-a>
Date: Sunday, October 23, 2005
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to the author.

I told this New Orleans resident who wrote to the Yahoo bookbinding
list that I'd pass on her [edited] request for help. If you would be
willing to assist her, please send me your email address and I will
pass it on to her, or you may prefer to contact her directly at
<justsu2000<-a t->yahoo< . >com> I have told her about the archives.

She wrote:

   "...I would like to save as many photos as possible.  They are
    covered in mold, and to various degrees were sitting in
    contaminated water for as much as a month.  I have the proper
    protective gear--my son's job requires him to have hazmat and
    bio-protective gear--so my own safety is not in question at this
    point.

   "I'm looking for hints and information on how best to attempt to
    separate the photos from the plastic sleeves, how to kill the
    mold without destroying the image.

   "I would also appreciate recommendations for how to find the
    proper person to do restorative work on some of the more
    (personally) valuable bits of paper that we have."

Lavinia Adler

                 Distributed: Friday, October 28, 2005