Subject: Cal for papers--IFLA

Cal for papers--IFLA

From: Dianne L. van der Reyden <dvan<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 27, 2005
Call for papers:
World Library and Information Congress
72nd General Conference and Council
International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA)
Seoul, Korea
20-24 August 2006
<URL:http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla72/index.htm>

Sponsored by:
Continuing Professional Development and Workplace Learning Section
    <URL:http://www.ifla.org/VII/s43/index.htm>

Preservation and Conservation Section and PAC Core Activity
    <URL:http://www.ifla.org/VII/s19/index.htm>
    <URL:http://www.ifla.org/VI/4/pac.htm>

Program Theme: Preservation Advocacy and Education

The need to advocate for preservation education has never been
greater as librarians are faced with an ever-growing list of
responsibilities. Cultural heritage collections are growing
exponentially in many formats, analog as well as digital. In this
context, we are compelled to advance preservation awareness to
ever-expanding diverse audiences. These audiences include but are
not limited to administrators, collectors, librarians, computer
scientists and engineers, politicians, architects, and the general
public--including children. We are also challenged to maintain
preservation standards and disaster plans, in consultation with
experts. To do this we must address issues of changing attitudes,
trends, priorities, financial needs, and technological developments.
Finally, we must continually "migrate and reformat" ourselves in
order to stay abreast of evolving audiences and issues. This may
require that we develop innovations in the ways in which we advocate
and educate, using, among other things, distance learning,
publications, exhibitions, workshops, formal degree programs, and
professional conferences (web-and paper-based).

The IFLA Continuing Professional Development and Workplace Learning,
and Preservation and Conservation Sections, together with the
Preservation and Conservation Core Activity are planning a joint
program covering these topics for the Seoul conference. The program
will comprise both papers and demonstrations of tools developed for
education in the preservation field.

We are issuing a call for papers. We are specially looking for case
studies or practical presentations. We are seeking contributions for
the two following programs:

    *   a two-hour session with speakers presenting papers that
        describe studies that have defined the extent and nature of
        preservation problems, and demonstrations of campaigns used
        to raise awareness and educate stakeholders;

    *   a two-hour hands-on session with speakers presenting best
        practices in training library staff in basic preservation
        principles and techniques, and demonstrations of training
        methods, tools, and courses.

If interested, please send a one-page abstract and information on
the author by 15 December 2005 to

    Sarah Toulouse <sarah.toulouse<-a t->bm-rennes< . >fr> for the PAC Section

    Susan Schnuer <schnuer<-a t->uiuc< . >edu> for CPDWL Section

    Marie-Therese Varlamoff <marie-therese.varalmoff<-a t->bnf< . >fr> for PAC
    Core activity

The abstracts will be reviewed by members of both standing
committees and PAC Core activity. Successful applicants will be
notified by mid-February 2006. Full papers will be due on 1 May
2006, to allow time for review of papers and translations. Papers
should not be longer than 20 pages. A maximum of 20 minutes will be
allowed for a presentation or summary of the paper during the
Sections program in the Conference.

All the abstracts must be in English. Papers can be presented during
the Conference in any IFLA working language (English, French,
German, Russian, Spanish), but the hands-on presentations should be
in English only.

Information on the author should include name, contact details,
affiliations (home institution, professional memberships, etc) and a
brief statement of experience and expertise related to the themes of
this conference program.

Please note that the expenses of attending the Seoul conference will
be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted
papers.

                 Distributed: Friday, October 28, 2005