Subject: Neatsfoot oil

Neatsfoot oil

From: Beth Richwine <richwineb<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 19, 2005
We have just acquired a collection of artifacts that contain a
variety of materials.  Some of the painted leather objects are
sticky.  I found out that they were coated with neatsfoot oil at
least 15 years ago and suspect that this is the problem.  There are
also some metal objects with an unusual shiny, slightly yellowed
coating, but what has been unpacked so far does not appear to be
sticky.  Has any one had similar problems and had any luck removing
this oil?

Beth Richwine
Objects Conservator
National Museum of American History

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 19, 2005