Subject: Vinelita

Vinelita

From: Michael Miller <michael.miller<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 19, 2005
I am currently investigating the materials used by the Mexican
painter Rufino Tamayo and have come across the term "vinelita" as
one of the materials he has used in his paintings. It seems a number
of Mexican Modernist painters have used "vinelita" on/in their
paintings throughout the 1940s, 50s and 60s.  I am having a
difficult time finding any useful description of exactly what this
material is. One vague source describes it as a paint mixture which
contains wood material added for texture (sawdust?). Any information
or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Miller
Courtauld Institute of Art

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 19, 2005