Subject: Triton

Triton

From: Chris Stavroudis <cstavrou<-a>
Date: Sunday, October 16, 2005
Gregory D. Smith <smithgd [at] buffalostate__edu>

>It is true that Dow announced back in March of 2004 that it would be
>ceasing production of Triton XL-80N because of low demand.

More on the History of Triton XL-80N:

Triton XL-80N was formulated as an ecologically friendly replacement
for Triton X-100 by Dow Chemical. The product was introduced to the
conservation profession by the late Doug Adams of Conservation
Materials, Ltd. Upon his suggestion, I evaluated a sample and wrote
a Technical Exchange submission for the January 1995 WAAC Newsletter
<URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn17/wn17-1/wn17-104.html>
summarizing the technical specifications for both X-100 and XL-80N.

A Replacement for the Replacement:

Scott Blair of Conservation Support Systems has found a replacement
for Triton XL-80N. Like XL-80N it is an alkoxylated linear alcohol.
The MSDS lists JL-80X's composition as consisting of 100% C10-C12
alcohols, ethoxylated, propoxylated while XL-80N is based on C8-C10
alcohols ethoxylated, propoxylated.

Comparing physical properties:

                     X100       XL-80N      Surfonic JL-80X
                     ----       ------      ---------------

    HLB             13.5        12-13       13.1
    CMC             .015%       .0086%      not characterized
    approxate MW    624         442         603
    spec. gravity   1-07        0.98        1.007
    viscosity 25C   240 cP      25 cP       51 cst

In practice, JL-80X is lower in viscosity than XL-80N and dissolves
more readily in water than either X-100 or XL-80N. As is the case
for both X-100 and XL-80N, JL-80X makes a wonderfully stable
water-in-oil emulsion of 90% mineral spirits, 9.5% water and 0.5%
surfactant.

The slightly longer length carbon chain in JL-80X, would, I imagine,
make it a more versatile detergent for greasy materials.

Chris Stavroudis
Paintings Conservator in Private Practice
1272 N. Flores Street
Los Angeles, CA  90069-2904

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 19, 2005