Subject: Deterioration of acrylic glazing

Deterioration of acrylic glazing

From: Kim Andrews <kandrews<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2005
Caitlin Granowski <caitlin.granowski [at] nga__gov__au> writes

>Over the past 18 months, the National Gallery of Australia has
>noticed a breakdown in some of their acrylic glazing, both old and
>relatively new stock. The breakdown has taken form as a white powder
>and as a waxy deposit, seen both on the work of art and window mat,
>and on the inside of the glazing. This has occurred on
>screen-prints, lithographs and silver gelatine prints.

Tru Vue's Optium Museum acrylic spec sheet notes that "once the
protective film is removed, you may notice an oily residue from heat
expansion" and goes on to specify cleaning with an ammonia free
glass cleaner.  It also specifies that this product must not be
cleaned with acrylic cleaner (counterintuitive, to be sure).  As a
housing technician, I have witnessed the degradation of acrylic
products from heat and sunlight, as well as observed damage and
residues resulting from cleaning with improper solvents and
inappropriate wiping clothes.  The type of acrylic glazing and
specific care instructions should be labelled on the back of each
framed object.  Curatorial and cleaning staff must be aware of the
vagaries of maintenance of various acrylic glazing.

Kim Andrews, Housing Technician
Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts
264 South 23rd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 18, 2005