Subject: Database software

Database software

From: Elizabeth Meek <elizabeth.meek<-a>
Date: Monday, October 10, 2005
At the National Library of New Zealand, Conservation Services is
responsible for delivering archival supplies to a range of different
departments. Up until now we have used two rather unwieldy Excel
spreadsheets: one tracking supplies in and out of each department,
and one tracking unit costs and overall spend.

We allocate stock to each department on an annual basis and then try
to coordinate large orders several times per year(to benefit from
economies of scale) that we can then spread across all departments
to fulfil their allocations.

We are looking for an off the shelf database that would combine the
two spreadsheets in one, and make data entry/report writing easier
and more accurate. Is anyone else using an inventory or stockroom
type database in a similar way? If so, I would be very interested in
knowing which one. Unfortunately our IT department will not support
custom built Access databases, so we are unable to write our own.

Elizabeth Meek
Senior Book Conservator
The National Library of New Zealand/Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa
Cnr Molesworth and Aitken Streets
PO Box 1467
Wellington 6001
New Zealand