Subject: Call for papers--AIC Research and Technical Studies

Call for papers--AIC Research and Technical Studies

From: Paul Benson <pbenson<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2005
Call for paper for the RATS session at the 2006 AIC annual meeting
in Providence, Rhode Island.

We have determined the topic for the 2006 AIC Research and Technical
Studies (RATS) specialty group session and it is "Technology
Transfer in Conservation".  It has been a few years since we last
visited this topic and a lot has transpired since then. Essentially,
we are looking for presentations on equipment, technologies,
processes, materials, etc. that have been or could be borrowed from
any field outside of the art conservation realm such as the
aerospace, medical, aviation, electronics, automotive, computer
sciences, petrochemical, life sciences, nuclear, or engineering
fields.  These can include, but certainly not limited to:

    image processing
    computer or mathematical related applications
    radiography (all types)
    nuclear methods
    acoustics
    holography
    electrical methods
    image acquisition techniques
    non destructive evaluation techniques
    thermography
    lasers
    plasmas
    liquid crystals
    magnetics
    nanotechnology
    microscopy (all types)
    materials
    microanalysis techniques

We are casting a wide net and we are anxious to see what responses
we get so that we can present a session that will be of interest to
both scientists and conservators.   About the only topic we do not
want to introduce is technology related to studies of authenticity
as that theme will be covered at the 2007 AIC conference.  If you
believe you can make a contribution on some aspect of technology
transfer please email an abstract of approximately 300 words to me
by Monday October 24, 2005

    Paul L. Benson
    RATS Program Chair
    Nelson Atkins Museum of Art