Subject: Survey on cultural heritage management

Survey on cultural heritage management

From: Jeremy Donald Hutchings <j.d.hutchings<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2005
I am writing to invite you to contribute to ground breaking research
which is attempting to improve conservation management of cultural
heritage.  In return you will receive exclusive access to the final
results of this research.

I am a British engineer and conservator living in Norway, head of
the department for conservation education at the University of Oslo
and currently studying for my Doctorate at University College
London.

My research focuses on decision making. Many persons from diverse
backgrounds participate in decision making, including leisure
managers, museum managers, curators, conservators, cultural tour
operators, security personnel etc.  However, to date no attempt has
been made to integrate the views and standpoints of everyone
involved in decisions on the protection and use of cultural
heritage.

In an attempt to understand how all these actors can be brought onto
one stage, I have considered the various activities that contribute
to the sustainable care and use of cultural heritage.  Examples of
these activities range from remedial conservation to raising
awareness of the importance of a cultural object or site on a local,
national or international level.

The questionnaire (pre-screening stage)is downloaded from:
<URL:http://folk.uio.no/jeremyhu/measuring/questionnaire.htm>

It is intended to produce a refinement of the activities that make
up conservation management.  This refinement will be provided by
consulting experienced persons from different disciplines.  I have
made an effort to avoid technical language and the questions have
been intentionally worded as definite statements so that as many
diverse contributors as possible can participate.

This questionnaire will take you less than half an hour to complete.
Please return it to me by e-mail. I would appreciate your response
by the 18 November 2005.Please return it by e-mail to:
j.d.hutchings<-a t->iakh< . >uio< . >no

Please feel free to forward this e-mail and questionnaire to
colleagues or internal mailing lists that you think may find it of
interest. Should you have any additional questions or comments
please contact me at

    +47 22859312
    Fax: +47 22859524
    j.d.hutchings<-a t->iakh< . >uio< . >no