Subject: Conference on report writing

Conference on report writing

From: Rachel Turnbull <rachel.turnbull<-a>
Date: Friday, September 23, 2005
"Communicating through report writing"
Icon Paintings Group Conference
The Royal Society of Artists
8 John Adams Street
London WC2N 6E2
Friday 21 October 2005

The Institute of Conservation (ICON) Paintings Group is organizing a
day conference dedicated to examining report writing practice.
Communication through report writing will ask just what our clients
think about the reports that they receive, and what it is they
actually want.

The day will be divided into two: one half to be devoted to
different methods of report writing, the other half to asking those
who use our services what information they would like to receive.

Can we make our reports any clearer? What are the legal implications
of what we write? Join us for a lively day of comment and exchange
of ideas.

Costs:
    UKP55 ICON members
    UKP45 students
    UKP65 non members

For more information and tickets please contact:

    Kate Lowry
    c/o Art Department
    National Museums and Galleries of Wales
    Cathays Park
    Cardiff CF10 3NP
    +44 2920 57 32 25
    rachel.turnbull<-a t->nmgw< . >ac< . >uk

Programme :

    10-10am             Registration and coffee

    10:30-10:45am       Introduction
                        Clare Finn
                        Freelance Conservator

Morning session
Chair, Jim Dimond

    10:45-11:05am       The writing process
                        Helen Wilks
                        Head of Humanities City and Guilds School

    11:10-11:30am       Communicating with visual methods
                        Clare Finn

    11:35-11:55am       Tick box reports, their benefits and
                        drawbacks
                        Joel Taylor
                        Research Fellow, University College London
                        Centre for Sustainable Heritage

    12-12:20pm          The legal aspect of reports
                        Jonathon Silverman
                        Head Partner of Silverman Sherliker

    12:20-1pm           Discussion/questions

    1-2:30pm            Lunch (included)

Afternoon session:
Chair to be announced

    2:30-2:55pm         The insurance companies point of view
                        Suzie Collier
                        XL Insurance

    2:55-3:20pm         The heritage/museum sector's point of view
                        (to be announced)

    3:20-3:40pm         The art market's point of view
                        Alex Bell
                        Head of Sotheby's Old Master paintings'
                        Department

    3:40-4:10pm         Tea

    4:10-5pm            Discussion and questions
                        chaired by Mark Dalrymple
                        Loss Adjuster
                        Tyler and Co.

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 6, 2005