Subject: Nozzle for vacuum cleaner

Nozzle for vacuum cleaner

From: David Daley <ddaley<-a>
Date: Monday, September 12, 2005
In order to expedite the surface cleaning of a large (mildly) mould
contaminated architectural drawings and photoreproduction
collection, we need an appropriate vacuum attachment which we
haven't found the ideal version of yet. We are using a large
biosafety cabinet to clean the collection using HEPA filtered vacuum
cleaners.

So far, we've been using round "house dusting" nozzles with soft
bristles, but due to the small 2 inch intake opening, a great deal
of time and motion are required to clean a large sheet of paper.
Larger, heavier floor cleaning attachments tend to be too heavy,
have very stiff bristles, wheels, and are designed to be worked in a
forward/backward motion due to the angle of the wand attachment to
the intake. We're seeking a lightweight, soft bristled brush with no
wheels and a wand attachment at right angles to the large intake
opening. We've found a potential candidate in the Miele Vac. Parquet
Brush S200/S300 series but it is less than ideal for our needs.

David Daley
Conservation Advisor
Archives and Special Collections
University of Calgary
MacKimmie Library Tower Room 1214
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary AB  T2N  1N4
403-220-4190
Fax: 403-210-3075

               Distributed: Thursday, September 15, 2005