Subject: Detergent

Detergent

From: David Harvey <top10denverdave<-a>
Date: Monday, September 12, 2005
Stephanie West <west [at] connerprairie__org> writes

>I am from a living history museum that uses a mix of materials in
>its interpretation. The items used in the kitchens range from
>tinware, ceramic glass, bone handled flatware, wooden hair sieves
>etc.  Due to the volume of daily washing ordering Triton or Dehypon
>for these items is impractical and economically unfeasible. Does
>anyone have recommendations for a grocery store brand of manual dish
>detergent that is suitable for a variety of items. ...

I get the feeling that you are probably talking about the daily
washing of reproduction objects used in working cooking
demonstrations there at Conner Prairie?

If not, then daily washing or washing of organics such as wood and
bone is a very poor choice for antiques, and a not so good choice
for metals.

If you are referring to reproductions then why not use period
materials and techniques as that can also be part of your
demonstration / interpretation?

It takes so very little Triton to work in water--so are you washing
with gallons and gallons of water every day?

It sounds like you know what to look for in a detergent--although
all of the commercial ones have additives. I would recommend looking
for a non-ionic detergent that is specifically formulated for
non-spotting or streaking on glassware--it is often an additive for
dishwashers. But you will still need to keep a keen eye on the list
of ingredients.

Again, if you are washing reproductions you don't necessarily need to
be quite so careful, as the water you are using probably has a lot of
chlorine in it anyway.

David Harvey
Objects Conservator
Los Angeles. California  USA

               Distributed: Thursday, September 15, 2005