Subject: Oil painting

Oil painting

From: JayJay Gladwin <gladwinjayjay<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 1, 2005
I have a Victorian oil painting, studio finish, of a girl sitting by
a fire. The painting has fallen off the wall and a section 60cm x
30cm has come clean away as it fell over the back of a dining chair.
I intend, unless anyone has any better suggestions to use BEVA glue
to re-glue the entire painting onto a fresh canvas.  I need to be
able to lay the old canvas on top of the new canvas, and have to
work from the front so that torn away section can be aligned
cleanly.  But, BEVA glue is heat activated, and I can't iron on top
of an oil canvas to activate the glue.

Is there another glue I could use which maybe remains open, provided
of course that it can be reactivate without using solvents which
might damage the paint layer?  Other than the section that comes
clean away and several appalling rips and some stretching, the
actual painting is fairly stable. Does anyone have suggestions on
dealing with stretching in a canvas?

JayJay Gladwin
Furniture and Picture Restorer

               Distributed: Saturday, September 10, 2005