Subject: Architectural drawings

Architectural drawings

From: Irina Gorstein <igorstei<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 1, 2005
Kathryn Kidd <paperkate [at] yahoo__co__uk> writes

>We are currently working on architectural drawings on tracing paper
>from the 1930's to the 1970's, and are encountering problems unique
>to this type of collection. The primary problem is paper edge tape
>which was applied by the architectural firm to protect the edges of
>the support, but is now losing its adhesion and is coming away,
>leaving exposed adhesive. ...

I have some experience with repairing various types of tracing
paper. It calls for the same methods as regular wooden pulp paper
with some extra precautions since it tends to cockle a lot from
moisture and is very fragile due to the production methods.

Firstly, the tape on the edges should be identified and the remains
of the currier removed either with heat (heat tool, heated spatula,
hot air pencil), or with solvents (water, alcohol, acetone,
toluene). Try the heat first (acrylic tape responds to heat very
well). Then try to remove adhesive residue: try pick-up eraser
first, but be very careful not to damage the edges of the drawing;
sometimes I use heat tool to scrape off a thick layer of adhesive. A
bit of cellulose powder and eraser could also work. If the adhesive
is very dry and brittle but stubborn, I use my suction table and
solvents.

When it comes to repair, I use very thin tinted Tengujo and very
thin wheat starch paste. I paste out Tengujo on upper part of my
hand, pick it up with tweezers, air it out and drop it on the tear,
then tap with the tapping brush. One has to move quickly to prevent
tracing paper from cockling. It should be dried between thick
blotters with Reemay and Plexiglass and a heavy weight on top. I had
very good results with my repairs. Please, don't hesitate to give me
a call if you have any questions. I hope it will help.

Irina Gorstein
Conservator
Frances Loeb Library
48 Quincy Street