Subject: Wood beetles

Wood beetles

From: Thomas A. Parker <bugman22<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 1, 2005
Lori Arnold <woodbldg [at] aol__com> writes

>I have a client in Greece with a wood beetle problem in her house.
>They are attacking the wood furniture and parts of the architectural
>wood detailing. From the information I have received, I'm quite sure
>it's either a lyctid or anobiid species--both are killed in the same
>manner. Because my client only visits her home in Greece during the
>summer, she needs a system that can deliver Vikane throughout the
>downstairs while she is not there. I suggested a bombing system ...

You cannot--I repeat--you cannot use Vikane in a part of a building.
This gas is highly penetrating, will not be confined to the first
floor area, and is highly toxic.  In Europe hydrocyanic gas is often
used for PPB control. This is also very toxic to all manner of life.

Your friend should seek professional consultation from someone who
knows the specifics of fumigation.  There are firms in Italy who
specialize in fumigation.  Contact one or several of them to obtain
a clear understanding of the hazards of toxic fumigation.

Thomas A. Parker, PhD
President, Entomologist
Pest Control Services, Inc.
469 Mimosa Circle