Subject: Positions at British Library

Positions at British Library

From: Alistair Greenhalgh <alistair.greenhalgh<-a>
Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Paper Conservators
British Library

Paper Conservator - Hirsch Collection
St Pancras, London
cUKP 18,500 - UKU 22,000 pa
6 month contract
Ref: AH023605

    Through a generous grant received from the Radcliffe Trust, we
    are seeking to employ a conservator for a fixed-term of six
    months to clean, conserve and protect a selection of unbound
    music from the Hirsch Collection. Under the terms of the grant
    we are specifically seeking to give a career opportunity to a
    newly qualified conservator, to enable them to gain experience
    by working on an important collection.

    You should be able to work without constant supervision and will
    be encouraged to develop a range of professional skills and
    knowledge on the items on which you work. You will also need to
    be able to manage your work to ensure that production deadlines
    are met, communicate effectively with people at all levels, and
    be able to keep clear, detailed and accurate records of all
    treatments undertaken.

    You will need to have a formal qualification in conservation or
    an allied subject, be willing to learn new techniques and
    treatments, have a high level of manual dexterity and some
    knowledge of the chemistry, properties and behaviours of a
    variety of organic and inorganic materials. IoC accreditation or
    working towards accreditation is desirable. Basic computer
    skills are also required.

Paper Conservator Vacancy - Fleming Papers
St Pancras, London
cUKP 18,500 - UKP22,000 pa
6 month contract
Ref: AH023705

    Through a generous grant received from the Wellcome Trust, we
    are seeking to employ a conservator for a fixed-term of six
    months to clean, conserve and box or bind as appropriate, a
    selection of correspondence and notebooks in the historically
    important papers of Sir Alexander Fleming.

    You will be working with a project curator and will develop the
    overall approach to the treatment and housing of this
    collection. You should be able to work without constant
    supervision and will be encouraged to develop a range of
    professional skills and knowledge on the items on which you
    work. You will also need to be able to manage your work to
    ensure that production deadlines are met, communicate
    effectively with people at all levels, and be able to keep
    clear, detailed and accurate records of all treatments
    undertaken.

    Applicants need to have either a formal qualification in
    conservation or allied subject, and/or experience of working in
    book or paper conservation. Knowledge and experience of Paper
    Conservation will be a distinct advantage as would experience of
    more than one year. You should also be willing to learn new
    techniques and treatments, have a high level of manual dexterity
    and some knowledge of the chemistry, properties and behaviours
    of a variety of organic and inorganic materials. IoC
    accreditation or working towards accreditation is desirable.
    Basic computer skills are also required.

For details on how to apply please contact

    People Media Response
    +44 20 7420 2910 l
    bl<-a t->peoplemedia< . >co< . >uk

quoting the appropriate reference number.

Further information is available from
<URL:http://www.bl.uk/about/vacancies.html>

Closing date: 14 September 2005.

The British Library is one of the greatest research libraries in the
world. Our modernisation programme ensures that we keep pace with
other international libraries. We continue to set standards with our
integrated management of the nation's digital and printed
collection.

The Collection Care department of the British Library is responsible
for the preservation, conservation, storage and security of the
collections. The department, which comprises some 200 staff,
currently has vacancies in its conservation studios in Central
London.

The British Library is an Equal Opportunities employer. We recognise
the benefit of employing a diverse workforce. All applicants are
considered on the basis of their merits and suitability for the job
and all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria will be
invited for interview.

The Library has a strong competency-based performance management
programme which encourages the highest standards of service
innovation and professional development.

                Distributed: Wednesday, August 31, 2005