Subject: Position at Sorlandet Art Museum

Position at Sorlandet Art Museum

From: Randi Jessen <randi<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Sorlandets Kunstmuseum
Skippergata 24b
PB 662  - N 4666 Kristiansand
Fax: +47 38074915
<URL:http://www.skmu.no>

Sorlandets Art Museum is the most important arena for art in the
region of Southern Norway (Sorlandet). Our mandate is to collect and
conserve artworks, but also to carry out research and mediate art,
in order to contribute to the production of new knowledge. We are to
be an open and innovative actor in the region, to arrange for or
produce inspiring art experiences. Our vision is to challenge and
confirm.

Sorlandets Art Museum is established as a foundation, and receives
funding from the federal government, the counties of Aust- and Vest-
Agder, and from the municipality of Kristiansand. Our working budget
is approximately 9 million Norwegian crowns. The museum is centrally
located in Kristiansand.

We administer an art collection with holdings of pictorial and
applied works, primarily from 1800 to the present day. The museum
has not previously employed a technical conservator, yet through
collaboration with local financial partners and Cultiva, the museum
now has financed a 3-year engagement for a paintings conservator.

Sorlandets Art Museum seeks a paintings conservator. Available:
3-year engagement for paintings conservator.

The paintings conservator will help establish and build up a
conservation service at the Sorlandets Art Museum, within the
strictures given for the position. The position is initially an
engagement for 3 years, but our ambition is that within this time
frame, and in collaboration with the paintings conservator, we will
be able to document the need for a permanent position.

Job activities will include the following:

    *   Both active and preventative conservation work: analysis,
        care, treatments and documentation of paintings, all with
        emphasis on the museum's collection.

    *   The position entails carrying out tasks related to
        exhibitions, loans and magazine operations.

    *   Other duties will include providing services for other
        museums and institutions in Agder, including consulting and
        taking on some conservation commissions from them.

Special skills or abilities We presuppose the conservator to:

    *   Be familiar with the materials of the artworks in the
        collection, as well as to be creative in developing and
        tailoring work methods.

    *   Have wide experience from active and preventative
        conservation work.

    *   Have excellent inter-personal skills and cooperative
        capabilities, yet also the ability to work independently.

    *   Be responsible, give attention to details, be
        result-oriented, be able to take initiative and organize the
        work in the most instrumentally effectively way.

In the autumn of 2005, the state archive in Kristiansand will hire a
paper conservator in a 50% position. Thus there will be
collaboration with the state archive in relation to conservation of
works on paper.

Minimum qualifications: The applicant should have a degree from a
recognized graduate conservation program, with emphasis on painting,
and relevant practice. The position also demands some travelling
within the Agder region; hence a driver's licence is necessary.

The salary will be in accordance with qualifications. Funding for
this position is organized through an agreement between HSH and the
organisations. From the salary, 2% will be set aside for the KLP
pension fund. The position is available immediately. The first six
months of employment are a trial period.

Queries concerning the position may be addressed to museum director
Erlend Hoyersten (+47 38 07 49 12), or administrative leader Randi
Jessen (+47) 38 07 49 13.

Written applications may be sent to

    Sorlandets Kunstmuseum
    postboks 662