Subject: Food and drink

Food and drink

From: Carol Brynjolfson <carolb<-a>
Date: Monday, August 15, 2005
I am forwarding the following request from someone who is not
currently on the Conservation DistList and will not see any answers
posted there.  Please respond directly to the author.

    My name is Erica Hernandez <erica.hernandez<-a t->pc< . >gc< . >ca>, I am the
    Heritage Collections Officer for the Gulf of Georgia Cannery
    National Historic Site located in Richmond, B.C. Currently our
    site plays host to many catered events, which occur in our main
    exhibit area. I am very concerned about this arrangement for the
    potential consequences facing our artifacts on display. Even
    though a janitorial crew clean the exhibit space following each
    special event, our industrial site is so large and segmented
    that I still often find food/drink remains the next day. As
    well, I have noticed mold spores in bloom on the exterior of
    some of our interactive, waist-height display units. Protective
    covering have been made for the upper surface of these units,
    however food/drink often spills down the sides of these units
    and I fear that the act of janitors wiping these units down with
    a food soiled cloth has contributed to this mold growth.

    Our site is a 110 year-old wooden cannery, housing industrial
    equipment (metal, wood, wood/metal composite, and some organic,
    i.e. hemp rope) relating to the West Coast fishing industry. I
    believe our "powers that be" do not feel the same care and
    restrictions should be applied to our Site as they would to
    community museum because the artifacts appear so stable and
    solid. As well, being a non-profit society we are obviously
    looking to generate any income we can. I'm currently attempting
    to formulate an argument against allowing catered events into
    the exhibit areas and am looking for some input from
    conservation professionals to support this battle. To this end I
    would appreciate any comments you could offer with regards to
    the potential consequences with such an arrangement.

    Erica Hernandez
    Heritage Collections Officer
    Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society
    12138 Fourth Ave.