Subject: Architectural drawings

Architectural drawings

From: Kathryn Kidd <paperkate<-a>
Date: Wednesday, August 24, 2005
We are currently working on architectural drawings on tracing paper
from the 1930's to the 1970's, and are encountering problems unique
to this type of collection. The primary problem is paper edge tape
which was applied by the architectural firm to protect the edges of
the support, but is now losing its adhesion and is coming away,
leaving exposed adhesive. We would like to get in contact with
conservators who have had experience with similar material to
discuss appropriate treatments, i.e. remove or repair? We'd also be
happy to hear from curators of similar collections to hear about
their policies for dealing with this sort of material.

Vicki Hanley and Kate Kidd
Paper Conservators
Sir Basil Spence Archive Project
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
John Sinclair House
16 Bernard Terrace
Edinburgh EH8 9NX
+44 131 662 1456